Thursday, October 15, 2009
Recipe for the classic Hong Kong dessert: "Willow Branches of Aquarius - 楊枝甘露" Sweet soup with Mangoes, Pomeloes, Sago and Coconut Milk....
A follow-up on a related post:
6 Fresh Mangoes - remove skin and stone, or approximate 6 cups of thawed frozen mangoes
1/2 Pomelo - remove rind, membrane and seeds
1 can Coconut Milk (can be substituted with low-fat version)
50mL half and half (optional if conscious of fat intake)
200g Rock Sugar (can be adjusted to your taste, and the sweetness of mangoes)
1. Bring rock sugar and water to a boil
2. Reduce heat to medium and add sago. Stir occasionally and cook the sago until they turn half transparent (each sago should still have a bit of white at the core)
3. Add coconut milk to the sago mixture and remove it from heat and allow it to cool to room temperature
4. Puree half of the mangoes, and cut the remaining into bite size pieces
5. Shred the flesh of pomelo by hand into the width of a chopstick
6. Add mango puree, mango chunks, and pomelo pieces into the sago coconut milk mixture
7. Chill the sweet soup prior serving.