Thursday, November 5, 2009
Recipe: Vegan Delight Spring Rolls!
This recipe is dedicated to my vegetarian and vegan friends!
....and the extension of a previously published article:
1 package of fresh Tofu Skins (cut into 8" x 8" pieces)
4 cups of shredded vegetables of your choice (Enoki mushroom, King Trumpet mushroom, and the stems of Chinese Broccoli were used)
* For those who are not vegetarian or vegan, you can also add shredded meat
Sauce (can be used to marinate the sauteed shredded vegetables or served as a sauce):
6 tbs Lee Kum Kee Chicken Marinade - Teriyaki
1-2 tbs Lee Kum Kee Chili Bean Sauce (Toban Djan)
2 slices Ginger (1/4" thick)
4 cloves Garlic
1. Sautee each of the shredded vegetables individually in oil (grapeseed was used) in frying pan or wok on high and sprinkle with little sugar. Sautee until golden brown.
2. Set all sauteed vegetable aside in a bowl and mix well.
3. To make the sauce, sautee both garlic and ginger with a little oil on medium heat. Add the Chili Bean Sauce and sautee with garlic and ginger to release the aroma. Stir in the Chicken Marinade and remove sauce from heat.
4. For Crispy version of the Spring Rolls, add enough sauce to the sauteed vegetables to your liking. For a softer texture, the Spring Rolls can be braised in the sauce after pan frying.
5. Place the sauteed vegetables in the centre of each the Tofu Skin pieces. Fold and wrap the Tofu Skin around the sauteed vegetables to form the Spring roll. Fold the left and right sides of wrapper over filling, then lift up the wide end nearest you and tuck overtop. Roll to the other end. Secure the roll by dipping your fingers in some water and wetting the end, "pasting" it shut.
6. Pan fry Spring Rolls in a wok or a non-stick frying pan with a little oil, seal-side down first for about 1 minute on each side or till they turn light to medium golden-brown.
7. For the braising version, reheat the previously made sauce in frying pan with 4 tbs of water. When the sauce begins to simmer, add all the Spring Rolls into the pan and allow them to simmer in the sauce for minute.
8. Serve both version on steamed vegetables and/or rice.